Up-cycling Skirts


IMG_3496 IMG_3519

For this project I have taken old skirts and altered them to a more flattering shape. I achieved this by re sewing the seams and shortening the skirts. I saw alot of potential in these skirts as I really liked the dog tooth patterns. I’m really happy with how these skirts turned out.

Bow Tied Skirt

IMG_3522cropped-img_35221.jpgThis is a skirt that I designed and made. I found the fabric in a charity shop. It was originally a duvet cover. I find this a brilliant way to buy fabric as you end up with alot of fabric for your money which is great. I made my own pattern for this skirt. The biggest challenge I had to overcome was creating the belt to make the bow. As the fabric was a slightly lighter colour on the inside I had to sew the fabric inside out to create a tube then pull the fabric out the right way. It was rather time consuming. I also created a blind hem to create a professional edge to the skirt. I’m really happy with the finished piece and I wear it all the time.


These images show my development of the top section of the fitted dress I am making. I have decided to add a zip into the back of the dress instead of creating a corset back.

Upcycling Project









This is an old dress that I have had for a while. It belonged to me great aunt. I have decided to upcycle to piece to create my own version of this impressive garment. I love the detailed work with the beads and sequins. I want to make these more prominent. I have started work with this piece. The first change I wanted to make was cut out the lining. I also decided to cut out the shoulder pads and cut off the sleeves. Unfortunately the dress was a bit tight on my hips so i decided to have the split in the dress bigger. I aim to create an overdress from this dress. I want to get a black slip to go underneath. I will soon post photos to show my progress. My next step is to re-enforce all the beads and sequins as I’ve been finding that some have been falling off as I’ve been working with the dress.


These are some more images from working on the Macbeth production. These images were taken in the first few days of working on the production. These are some examples of the work i created while shadowing Caryl working with props. I wore down alot of leather with sand paper. I also learned how to sew with waxed leather and  how to wrap sword handles with leather. I cut the leather into a long strip  and tightly wrapped the leather around the handle. It was very important to wrap the handle as tight as possible to make sure that the actors could grip the handle well enough. I first struggled with the handle as it has a round middle. I found that after a few attempts the technique became alot easier.